Tuesday, December 5, 2006

GROUCHY CHOWDER (MY VERSION OF CRAB CHOWDER)


INGREDIENTS
1 cup Dungeness crab
1 cup milk
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
2 tbsp unsalted, sweet cream butter
1 tsp lemon juice
2-4 boiled, medium-sized red, parsley or fingerling potatoes cut in a medium dice
3 cloves finely minced garlic (try using The Garlic Twist)
1-2 finely diced shallots
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary
1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION
Heat the butter on the stovetop at medium heat until it melts. Add crab, garlic, lemon juice and shallots. Sauté, stirring frequently for five minutes. Add white wine, herbs and honey. Simmer, stirring occasionally for ten minutes. Add boiled potatoes, milk and heavy cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally for ten minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

THE STORY BEHIND THE RECIPE
Even though I grew up on the coast, my father was a boater and I’d fished before I could ride a bike; I had always wrinkled my nose at the fishiness of fish. When I was in college, I began to get a little braver about trying different fish and preparations. Once I discovered Dungeness crab I knew I could find my own answer to chewy, fishy clam chowder.

CHEF'S NOTES
You can peel the potatoes if you wish, but the peel of all three varieties of potatoes is pretty delicate and adds color to the chowder.

Lemon juice is a wonderful addition to any fish dish to help cut the fishiness. Of course, the fresher the fish, the less intense its fishiness.

Feel free to add more crabmeat for grouchier chowder. I call for Dungeness crab because I think it is the best crab in the world, but feel free to substitute your favorite crab or other fish or shellfish.

DIETER'S INFORMATION
This dish is neither low fat or low carb. Sorry dieters but remember—indulging in moderation won’t give you a big butt.

1 comment:

Kelvin said...

Hello from down under in New Zealand. I was "fishing" around the blog world when your blog popped up. Great recipes. I have a recipe blog listing other peoples blogs.

Clickon my name if you want to have a look at my blogs.